What Are The Benefits Of Goji Berries?
1. Goji Berries Aid Diabetes TreatmentSome animal studies have shown how goji berries can lower blood sugar levels. The berries contain polysaccharides, which are long-chain carbohydrates that play a role in reducing blood sugar. Studies have also shown how these berries can help treat type 2 diabetes .Goji berries also increase glucose responsiveness, and this accounts for their hypoglycemic effects.
2. Help Fight CancerStudies done on cancer patients revealed that they responded better to treatment when supplemented by goji berries. The berries contain physalin that is known to kill cancer cells. The polysaccharides in the berries were known to cause cancer cell death, and this is especially true with respect to cancers of the colon, stomach, and the prostate.The vitamins A and C in the berries offer antioxidant benefits and can prevent cancer too. They also work in preventing skin cancer . Another Polish study talks about how the berries can help prevent breast cancer .
3. Can Aid Weight LossGiven that they are low in calories and rich in nutrients, they can find a place in your weight loss diet plan. And goji berries have a low glycemic index , which is why consuming them can reduce cravings for sugary foods and aid weight loss. Reports show that consuming low-glycemic foods can accelerate weight lossThe berries are also rich in fiber, like most fruits and vegetables. Fiber promotes satiety and prevents binging – and can hence contribute to weight loss. Another study speaks about how goji berries can increase energy expenditure and decrease waist circumference in overweight individuals
4. Can Regulate Blood Pressure LevelsThe polysaccharides in the berries can be credited to their anti-hypertensive properties. In fact, these berries have been used in traditional Chinese medicine to regulate blood pressure levels. As per a Chinese study, the polysaccharides in the berries can help lower blood pressure levels and prevent related diseases
5. Boost Vision HealthGoji berries are exceptionally rich in zeaxanthin, an antioxidant known for its superb benefits for the eyes. They are often considered a natural treatment for age-related macular degeneration. The zeaxanthin in the berries also protects the eyes from UV exposure, free radicals, and various other forms of oxidative stress.Drinking goji berry juice regularly for 90 days was found to increase plasma zeaxanthin concentration, and this could protect the eyes from hypopigmentation and other forms of oxidative stress that can damage the macula (8). Other studies show how the berries can serve as a natural treatment for glaucoma (9).
6. Goji Berries Improve Lung HealthStudies showed how taking a goji berry supplement for four weeks decreased inflammation in the lungs and increased white blood cell activity against lung diseases like influenza.Goji berries can also boost immunity, which has a desirable impact on lung health (10). This property can also help treat respiratory ailments like asthma.
7. Can Help Balance HormonesSome research says that goji berries can be used to treat yin deficiency and restore hormonal health and balance (1
8. Enhance Fertility And Sexual HealthStudies have shown that goji berries can increase testosterone levels in men, thereby improving their sexual health. They can also work as a potential alternative remedy for erectile dysfunction.Research also states that the berries can exhibit fertility-enhancing effects in men (12).
9. Goji Berries Fight DepressionGoji berries are rich in B and C vitamins and also contain manganese and fiber – all of these nutrients elevate your energy levels and are known to enhance positivity. The berries have also been used in traditional Chinese medicine to fight depression and other anxiety and mood disorders.Studies have also shown that regular intake of goji berry juice can increase energy levels and enhance mood.
10. Detoxify The LiverThe berries are often used along with other traditional herbs like licorice and ganoderma in liver cleanses. As per traditional Chinese medicine, goji berries benefit both the liver and kidneys and restore the strength and vitality of the individual. Some sources say this aspect of the berries also makes them a natural remedy for kidney stones – but we recommend you talk to your doctor before taking them for this purpose.
11. Might Alleviate PainGoji berries have anti-inflammatory properties, which can help relieve pain – with arthritic pain being one of them. However, there is little information on whether the berries can alleviate muscle pain as well.
12. Can Enhance Muscle GrowthGoji berries contain 18 amino acids, which can aid muscle growth. Goji berry extract can also enhance the production of muscle and liver glycogen, and this consequently helps you stay physically active for long periods.The berries also contain good amounts of protein – another reason they can enhance muscle growth (13).
13. Goji Berries Might Repair Tanned SkinThe berries work well for treating hyperpigmentation as well. They are rich in vitamin C, beta-carotene, and amino acids – all of which improve your complexion and make your skin glow. You can include the berries in your regular diet.You can also make a paste of the berries and apply to your face. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then rinse with cold water. Doing this once daily can give you results.
14. Can Help Treat AcneThis can be attributed to the anti-inflammatory properties of the berries. They treat skin inflammation and help reduce and prevent acne breakouts. Drinking the juice can treat inflammation from within, which could also be contributing to your acne breakouts.Additionally, you can also apply goji berry juice or extract to your face and rinse with cold water after 15 minutes. The berries can also firm up your skin (as they are rich in vitamin C that helps build skin) and reduce wrinkles too. This basically means you can also use them for their anti-aging benefits.The Ningxia Hui region of Northern China, where goji berries are consumed regularly, has 16 times as many centenarians as the entire country!).
15. Boost Hair GrowthGoji berries are rich in vitamin A, a nutrient known to enhance blood circulation. This also improves circulation to the scalp, thereby boosting hair growth and preventing hair fall.And like we say, the berries are also rich in vitamin C. This nutrient helps in the absorption of iron, which is also essential for hair growth.You can take goji berries (as whole fruits or as juice) or even wash your hair with the juice (post which you can shampoo as usual).Now that we are done with the benefits of goji berries, let’s take a look at the several nutrients they contain.
Subscribe for our products nowsubscriptionMobile webFocus on mobile phone clientsQR code